Friday, June 4, 2010

Life at DY in NY

Hey! So I have to applaud you, Andrew, for starting this whole blog. It is such a great idea and I'm very impressed! So I'm back in the big apple this summer once again doing PR, but this time around I'm interning for David Yurman ("luxury brand jewelry" to all of you guys). This is only my fourth day, so I can't offer a wholistic opinion but so far it has its ups and downs.

The first couple days I was here I was really busy, which was great because it made the time past by very quickly. Also, on Wednesday night I got to help work at a David Yurman event with Justin Tuck (NY Giants fullback) who was hosting a fundraising for his charity called Rush for Literacy. It was pretty cool, actually, and I got to feel really important by doing check in. Haha, not really, but we did have a few characters try to get in that were not on the guest list. Having said that, yesterday was really slow which makes the day seem really long. Plus, nearly everyone at the office seems perpetually stressed out and every issue that comes up seems to cause an extremely over-dramatic panic attack. When this happens I kind of have to stifle a laugh, because these so called "panic attacks" seem to occur all the time and tend to be over in about 30 min, at which point life resumes as usual.

Also, people aren't the friendliest in this office (more on the intimidating and a bit cold side, actually) but I've started to meet a few of the other interns that are nice. One of them is from Ireland! I like her a lot. Having said that, the woman I'm about to start interning for (VP of Global Marketing and Communications) apparently used to be extremely The Devil Wears Prada esque and the Irish girl, Kim, had to intern for her for 6 months. She said that one day she made her go stand in line at a sample sale for 2 hrs and then call her when she was at the front of the line. Another day this Meryl Streep figure (Shauna) liked Kims boots when she walked in and told her to go find her a pair despire the fact that they were sold out nearly everywhere and upon finding them told Kim to never wear hers again. Hmmm... BUT Shauna does not have an assistant who tend to run around like a chicken with its head cut off, so rumor has it that she doesn't treat her interns quite so badly anymore.

Greatest excitment of the week however is that Abby and Sarah Estopinal are coming in from DC and CT today to stay for the weekend! I can't tell you how exciting that is to have fellow-vandyers coming to stay. They will be a delightful break from my hard-partying roommates who love to invite people over to pregame and then come back from bar hopping around 4 AM. Not complaining, however, they do make life more interesting.

Ok well this is probably getting very long and I actually am at work (oops!) so I should probably go. Love the updates, keep them coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment